Monday, July 27, 2009

First "serious" cake



This was my first real paid job, a real wedding, a real serious celebration. And I was a nervous wreck. I didn't think I'd be able to pull it off. I waited until the last minute...because, well, because that's what I do. So, the Friday before she was scheduled to pick it up, I'm feverishly baking cakes and making fondant. I finally get the layers stacked and...my top tier collapses helplessly into a pile of crumbs. It's now 10:30pm and I'm out of eggs. I send my poor, dutiful husband out into the wild world, forbidding him re-entry without said eggs. He returned fairly quickly. Turns out the 7-11 carries eggs. Who knew? So, at 11:00pm, I am baking up a storm, making another cake. Fortunately, all three kids stayed asleep and I was able to finish. I waited until morning to put the fondant on and then decorate. The ribbon is real and the flowers are artificial, so the decorating was simple. Thankfully. I wasn't sure how to attach the ribbon to the cake. I tried water, but ended up dissolving a bit of gumpaste in water, to make a glue. That seeemed to work well. It showed through the ribbon in a few places, but it must have dried without marks.

My fondant was pitted in places, which I think was due to powdered sugar lumps and dents in my mat. Next time I think I will use the counter, sans mat, and see if I can get it smoother. All in all, I was pretty happy with the way it turned out. And thanfully, so was the bride.

The cake was french vanilla, with a cream cheese frosting filling and vanilla buttercream beneath the fondant. I went with the buttercream, because I was a bit unsure of how the fondant would be over the cream cheese in the summer heat. I had horrifying visions of slipping and sliding, so I decided to play it safe.

No comments: