Monday, August 10, 2009

(It's supposed to be) Tinkerbell Cake!





Ok...this cake was made for my niece's second birthday. I worked until 12:30 the night before to get it done. Then the next morning the birthday girl got sick and the party was canceled. Ah, well. Fun cake, anyway!

The theme was Tinkerbell and it was harder than I thought to capture her expression. I made her larger than I normally would have because I thought it would give me the room to make more detail, but I still don't think I completely pulled it off. I wasn't too happy with her legs. She has some kind of skin disorder... I had originally planned to make the cake a flower, hence the shape; the middle cake, then the small cakes on the side were originally going to be petals. That plan fell through so I ended up doing the sunflower. The roses I stole off of my Wilton Course 3 final cake(shhh! Don't tell!)and are made off the Wilton fondant (Yuck!) but everything else is made from marshmallow fondant. The butterflies and bumble bee are on wire, but everything else is edible.

It's chocolate cake with chocolate buttercream filling and marshmallow fondant. I didn't get to taste it, but how can you go wrong with chocolate buttercream?

No comments: