Monday, August 10, 2009

Wilton Course 3, class final






This was my Wilton Course 3 cake final. I will admit that I cheated a bit and used a styrofoam form for the cake. I just got tired of cake. My husband is on a diet, my kids don't need anymore sugar than they already get and I don't need the temptation. It always gets thrown away and a huge one like this would have too much of a waste. Everyone always says to give it away, but my class cakes get a lot of...um, handling and I wouldn't want to cake that someone else had their hands all over. But anyway...styrofoam. My instructor didn't care, saying the class emphasized decorating not baking, so that was good! I had kind of forgotten about the cake and all the work I was supposed to do prior to class, so that afternoon I was turning out rose after rose. I think we were supposed to have something like 40 roses and I barely made 30, but it worked out fine. I was actually having a hard time trying to find a place for the roses I did have, I can't imagine what I would have done with 10 more. The Wilton fondant is so easy to use, I wish it didn't taste like crap. I love the marshmallow fondant but it's harder to work with. It tears easier and doesn't cover as well, but it tastes so good. I'd like to find a pre-made fondant that didn't taste bad. I wonder what the satin ice tastes like? I guess I'm going to have to buy a little and sample it.

2 comments:

blp3 said...

It is beautiful. You did a great job.

The girl with the flour in her hair said...

Thanks! This one was fun to do.