Monday, September 7, 2009

Cake for Breakfast!

I had cake for breakfast.

Carrot Cake. And it was mighty tasty.



Despite the fact that it was 85 degrees in the house, I fired up the oven and baked a cake. All for the love of cream cheese frosting.

It's not really pretty. If I just bake for us I don't bother with making it look good. As long as it tastes good... I used a different recipe for this one. I have one that I usually rely on, but wanted to try something new. I wasn't as impressed with this one. Still good, but not amazing. I guess I'll go back to the old standby...

Carrot Cake

4 eggs
1 1/4 cups vegetable oil
2 cups white sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
3 cups grated carrots

Cream Cheese Frosting

1/2 cup butter, softened
8 ounces cream cheese, softened
4 cups confectioners' sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

I don't like nuts or raisins in my carrot cake, but it would be easy enough to add either to this recipe.

5 comments:

The Waylaid Wordsmith said...

My standby carrot cake recipe is virtually identical...I use 1/2 cup of oil and 1/2 cup of applesauce instead of all oil, and my recipe calls for 1/2 cup less sugar than yours.

Raisins in cake are evil.

Try it with the zucchini! It was so good...

The girl with the flour in her hair said...

I play around with this recipe a lot...I've used a combination of whole wheat flour and flax seed in place of the oil, applesauce, honey...it almost always comes out good. I guess carrot cake it one of those things that you can't do wrong!

What did you frost your zucchini cake with?

The Waylaid Wordsmith said...

I mess with a lot too...it's a surprisingly hard cake to screw up, which is why I like it. Even using all whole-wheat it still stays moist and pretty light.

I didn't frost it, we ate it plain and it was delicious. I think it would probably be really awesome with a glaze. As much as I love cream-cheese frosting, I think it would be a little intense with the zucchini flavor...but I might be wrong!

Lille Diane said...

Oh stop it both of you! I am drooling and there's no cake anywhere...or carrots, or cream cheese frosting [sniff] not even a mammoth zucchini to be found around here... [sobbing now] dang, dang, dang-ity-dang. But I am suddenly up for adoption, and will lick errrr... I mean wash the plates for you. =]

Krissy said...

Ooh! That sounds good! I'm busy trying to figure out a good cake and frosting recipe that uses no soy, dairy, cargeenan(which is in most milks be it rice, almond, soy or regular) or eggs! I think I may be left trying to make a cake out of a cup of water!


I love your cake designs! They're so fun and you're so creative!